13 January 2010

Some action...

Finally after three weeks of holidays Slovak boys and girls are back to schools!!! This makes me happy since I would like to volunteer at schools and help them out with some English and Russian language conversations :) I dont know how will it go and will teachers be interested in that, but on Monday me and my colleague went to three of Krupina's schools and principals in all of them seemed very nice.

One big minus is that people here think that if I am from Latvia it means our national language is Russian... well, at least it feels that they think like that. Maybe its because of the Soviet Union or just because people arent interested in other cultures... Im just angry since every time I have to explain that I know Russian because of my roots (which are Belarussian by the way) and that I have never studied Russian, which means I can speak it and I tought myself how to read in it, but I dont write.. Anyhow, I think its good to speak as many languages as possible and I am proud to speak Russian, I just dont want people to put Latvia into Russian speaking nation, because both language are pretty different!

Speaking of English, then I think I have it on a quite ok level :P It was just funny that one of the principals was asking "what about Your English?", "well, will see how it goes..." :D its just funny..

Overall Im satisfied and I really, really do hope that something starts to move further! I know, I was warnned by other volunteers that it takes some time (up to 2 month) when things start to work out, Im just getting a bit tired to sit on my ass..

And today I got my Slovak living permission :) Picture is horrible, but at least I can sleep better knowing that everything is legal in case anyone asks.. :P

Well, that would be shortly from me.
Hugs to everyone!!!

1 comment:

  1. I hope they will make a decision pretty soon :))) Good luck with that Russia-Latvian girl :D

    ReplyDelete